Monday, July 2, 2012

Genetics Don't Matter...


Tonight, as I was texting a very close friend of mine, I was reminded of how true this quote actually is. I though about how I would word this just right for my followers on Twitter, or my friends on Facebook. But it's not an easy explanation to fit into 140 characters...not much is these days.

You see, not everyone is blessed with friends who are family. Not everyone is blessed with family that isn't blood. Lots of people only know family to be the ones who they share their genetics with. And those are the people who truly miss out.

Don't get me, I have a wonderful family for the most part... I have a mother who would do absolutely anything she could for me. And I have a brother who would be there for me in a heart beat...even though we fight like ten year olds. I have a sister in law, who I love as if she were my own. And a niece who is as fun as they come. In addition to those four, I have several aunts, uncles, and cousins who I have never felt as close to as I do now. They are all precious, wonderful people. I am truly blessed.

However, I also know what it is like to have family who should be there, but isn't. Family who is more concerned with their own lives, than with how they are affecting others lives. You see, family is supposed to love you unconditionally. But, unfortunately, sometimes...they miss the memo.

That's where this quote comes in. Tonight I was reminded of the family that I have that I did not grow up with. The family that I have that does not share my eyes, or my smile, or my hair color, or complexion. The family that I have that does not share the understanding of the quirkiness of the rest of my family. But they understand me.

While I have aunts and uncles and cousins; and a mother, a brother, a sister-in-law, and a niece; I also have some other family that is special. I have a grandmother that adopted me as her own last night,  stating that everyone should have a grandmother that spoils them. I have an older brother that is as protective, crazy, strict, and fun as they come. I have another older brother and sister who tease me and pick on me constantly, but open their house to me daily...and their kids? Well they're like my niece and nephew. I have a sister in New York that would do anything she could for me. And I have some family that I can no longer reach, but one day will see again.

You see, I am blessed. These people...they want me in their life. They would do anything they could for me, and many of them already have done so much. The accept me, they love me, they are always there for me. Hopefully you are just as blessed as I am. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment